Meet the Designer – Jennifer Strumbel
Jennifer started out studying Software Engineering at Florida Atlantic University. Then in 1996, after moving from Florida to Minnesota, she attended Bethel University and the University of Phoenix online where over time her focus shifted from Software Engineering to Graphic and Web Design.
River Street Designs, a small, independent home-based design business, opened for business in 2003, catering to small businesses and work at home mom’s (WAHM’s). Jennifer’s simple and affordable designs provided an opportunity for small businesses to present themselves on the web with a professional “big company” appearance at a much lower cost. Jennifer’s commitment and success of being a WAHM herself was acknowledged in November 2004 by Parenting Magazine.
In 2007, after selling a successful online gourmet business, and moving away from “River Street”, Jennifer decided on a new business name with a look and feel that better reflected her creative design focus. Flying Orange was born with an emphasis on creating custom and unique designs that catered to all businesses, organizations and individuals. Jennifer continues to advance her skills in Graphic and Web Design studying new techniques through self-education and monitoring industry trends. At the same time she works to educate others about the graphic and web design industry through social media and various blogs.
Jennifer’s current design portfolio consists of over 400 highly satisfied clients for website, logo and print design projects.
Being a rabid basketball fan and “sports mom” Jennifer has been highly involved in local youth organizations, as well as the local Middle School and High School. She provides her design skills and her extensive time and facility management skills free of charge. Some of the notable positions:
Rocket Boosters (2014-present)
- Graphic Designer and Editor for three seasonal sports books, game day programs, wall calendars and pocket calendars for distribution to area businesses and community. The seasons follow the High School Varsity sports coverage during the Fall, Winter and Spring season. Each sports book is 28-32 full-color printed pages paid for entirely by advertisers.
- Currently serving as Vice President (Past President July 2019 – July 2023).
Middle School Career Fair Speaker (2013–2018)
- Prepares presentations about what she does in Graphic Design and Web Design and educates the students about what it means to be a Designer. Time investment, compensation, day to day activities, training, educational needs and many other topics are covered. Students have an open forum to ask any questions they may have. Jennifer’s presentation is one of the premier presentations that the Career Fair puts on and students line up to be part of her classroom each year.
Rockford Area Athletic Association (2012-2016)
- Marketing/Media Director – Created website for local youth sports organization to help for communications, registration and community awareness for sports including Baseball, Softball, Basketball, Football, Wrestling and JO Volleyball. In addition to the website, handled email communications, social media, and online/offline ordering of apparel.
- Basketball Board Member – Assisted with coordination of youth teams, uniforms, tournament and practice scheduling, concessions and apparel.
Minnesota Ford Enthusiasts (2006-2013)
- Marketing/Media Director – Logo design, website and apparel design for various events and members.
- Car Show Coordinator – Manager of annual car show held in Fall for 150+ Ford cars and trucks at local dealership. Coordination of registration, parking, concessions, mailings, trophies and marketing.
In addition to the positions above, Jennifer frequently volunteers her time helping teachers and administration at the local Middle and High School on various projects.
References and resume available upon request.